Sunday 17 January 2016

My Sister's Keeper

It was Saturday night and I called all the F5 girls who are staying at the hostel to meet me in one of the classes. As soon as everyone has arrived, I told them that they will have to watch a movie every Saturday night because it would be part of their writing assignment. I'll pick a movie, make them write reviews about the movie and let them write it on their blog. Of course, they jumped after hearing the word 'movie' and 'every Saturday night'. Who wouldn't right?

So the first movie that I showed was, 'My Sister's Keeper'. The subtitle went crazy (again!) so they had to listen and rely on my explanation here and there. If they could watch it with the subtitle, I'm pretty sure many of them would have understood the story better. This movie collected 95 million worldwide. I'm not surprised cause it's a really good movie. The whole team did an amazing job. The acting was superb. It's derived from a book written by Jodi Picoult. Gotta thank her for writing an amazing book!

As someone who has experienced taking care of a family member who has cancer, this film definitely becomes very personal to me. Sometimes it's hard to talk about the pain that we have in our hearts. Watching this movie reminds me that I'm not alone. My family members are not the only ones having to say goodbye to a cancer victim. Some had to go through worse experiences. At least we only suffered for two months before he left us forever. Kate (in the movie) had leukemia since she was 6 years old. It lasted till she was 17. 11 years of surviving cancer. Now that's a real survivor.

If you're interested you could buy the dvd, I can assure you, it would be worth every cent. Or you could just watch it online. The question that I gave my students was, "Were the parents fair to all their children?". Looking forward to read their feedback, movie review and answer to that question. See y'all in the next post!

13 comments:

  1. Teacher, what do you mean by the subtitles went crazy ? I think you should take a look at a movie title The Fault in Our Stars .. although it got some awkward part if you know what I mean .. but in the end of the story I cried. It is worth your time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subtitle was too fast. It did not appear according to the time. It was fine in my laptop but when I played it on the tv it went haywire. I've watched TFIOS when it came out. Yeah, it's meaningful but I didn't cry. Hahahaha

      Delete
  2. teacher, do i have to answer you question even if i not watch that movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't have to. But you're welcomed to watch the movie anytime :)

      Delete
  3. Teacher, please show them Mami Jarum movie. Its nice than Janam Jahanam hahhhahhaahaha I love Hindustan but not a modern Hindustan movie except 3 idiots and housefull. Sorry for disturb ing your blog kahkah

    ReplyDelete
  4. teacher,please show them Pondok Pak Ya..it can make them conscious..hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. conscious means INSAF..look at google translate..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaahhahahaha I think you looked at Google translate before commented right? Hahhahhahahaha lek man. Aah teacher. You can make hostel's students conscious. Of course they don't berebut bilik air lagi. Eh terbm pulak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhahahhaha!! Okay first, conscious means SEDAR. I told you not to look at Google translate! The words given are not precise (tepat). Second, I'm planning to show English movies..so that they can listen and read the subtitles in English. It's a part of learning process. Mami Jarum is good for entertainment purpose and also cultural study. Pondok Pak Ya is good for self-analysing. To look back at our mistakes and past sins. Both are good suggestions, thank you very much! :)

      Delete
  7. teacher. you not leave any comment at my blog..hahahha... please visit at kawasakininja.blog.com... tq teacher..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for the movie tchr. Ilove it eventho i sleep when watch it hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome..it was quite late and there was no subtitle, so I understand why you fell asleep.

      Delete